Thursday, July 19, 2012

On Dealing with the Tough Stuff

I don't have an actual post for today. 
I've realized a few things while dealing with some crappy stuff this week that for some reason, I feel like sharing.
I like being positive here, because in general I'm a pretty positive person. 
But for some reason, these things just have to be said today.

I have to compartmentalize the "bad stuff" in order to go on with my day, unless I will be completely wrecked. I am pretty calm in crisis situations lately (my job is full of these) and I am able to think fairly rationally. Depending what type of situation it is, I might get upset when things sink in but I usually am able to put it in another part of my mind to deal with later. Yes, I think this is a form of denial. But it also enables me to go on with my day. I'm not saying I do things right, I'm just saying this works for me.

Here's what I've realized, though. 
There's no use in getting upset about things that you have no control over. 
Don't neglect the things you do have control over.
There are some battles worth fighting, and there are some that aren't.
Things will always get better.

This is the case across the board, no matter how you deal with the tough stuff.
I'm not writing this as a therapist right now. I'm writing this as a real person who has had some pretty wonderful things happen lately, and also some pretty awful things. I'm also someone who is trying to make the best out of things and learn from each. I'm sure that some of my outlook is naive, but I really don't care. If it gets me through my day, and can maybe help someone else having a tough time, that's all that matters to me.

So, I'm wondering. How do you deal with tough situations? Do you feel you could do a better job with this? (I certainly do)
...Am I normal or completely crazy??? :)




2 comments :

  1. Girl, you are totally normal. Learning to pick my battles is something I've been working on lately, especially with drama in the workplace. Part of me wants to get involved and be mad about certain things, and then I realize that what good is it if I act like everyone else, making a big deal out of the small things? I'd rather think positively and only fight when it's something important. Thanks for the reminder to let go of the things I don't have control over - that's definitely hard for me : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it's really hard to remember that and something I try to work on daily. Thanks for the reassuring words! :)

      Delete

Thanks for your comments! I'd love to respond to you through email, so please make sure you have an email address linked to your account!

Share

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...